[Foundation-l] wikibreak

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 11:03:33 UTC 2005

Okay

This has little to do with a supposed "upper circle".
I guess everyone has a need for a break from time to time.
If I just consider recent times with people around me :
Tim has consider entirely giving up wikipedia for a while, and is hopefully back though with less activity
Elian was on a wikibreak about 3 weeks ago
Sannse is currently on wikibreak though I do not know why. I just heard it was because of my proposal on OTRS. I know nothing more.
Ellisllk has decided to quit wikipedia recently, asking me to unsysop him on wikipedia and wikiquote
Danny is on wikibreak due to me not telling him what he expected, and he made at least 3 or 4 wikibreaks in the past months
Sj has been on and off since december
Yourself, Villy, has been on a big wikibreak in january and part of february (right ?)
Dunno about you, but I do not see a lot of Angela these days. Love is getting her busy.
Aphaia quit participating to some projects
Etc...
And likely, dozen of wikipedians are everyday on a break

We do not always know why they do it.
Some people live wikipedia passionately, others have more of an equal mood. Not everyone is equal in front of stress and disappointment.

Yeah, I thought of explaining more why I am currently tired. But really, this should be obvious by the past days mails here. The rest of it is private issues.

Perhaps I can only add four points.

First, in the past few days, I did not sufficiently listened to others. I should have listened more. Or I should just have keep my mouth shut entirely. So perhaps it is more loss of faith in myself than in the project ?

Second, to listen more to others however, it would be helpful that they talk. When they do not talk, it is really hard to know where to put feet, and it is hard to represent mute people. Typical example would be the proposal for OTRS. I may be the one concerned by the amount of mails to answer, but we might be all concerned by what we want the Foundation to become, a family kinda stuff, or something a bit more organised. If so, I would love to hear opinions on this. Please see the amount of feedback on this. I may have a responsability toward users, but I think that in a similar sort of way, users have a responsability toward me. Either one of support, or one of criticism, or suggesting other ideas... dunno... uh... something... less silent possibly ?

Third, I had some bad proprietary thoughts. I still think that images I uploaded on wikipedia are mine in a sense. I should not. If someone delete them, I should just not mind at all. Many of the texts I added to Wikipedia in three years have disappeared, remix in other people texts. They never asked me if they could remove my inputs. I think it is okay. I should not mind either that my images are deleted from Wikipedia (if I repeat it every morning, I should get convinced perhaps ?)

Fourth, I really physically need a break. Aside from all above considerations. The last week has been very heavy for me at work, very little sleep. No heat at home for 4 days while outside temperature was below -10°C. I slept the whole saturday afternoon, which did not prevent me from falling asleep at 10 pm the same day. As I have already announced to a couple of wikipedians, I am waiting for a third baby, and I feel I need rest badly right now. I am tired. At least, I should focus on what is really important. Perhaps answering the pile of mails left in my mail box. Oh well. Whatever.