[Foundation-l] stewards elections

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 08:46:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:05:22 -0800 (PST), Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales schreef:
> Why don't I just make them all 3 stewards and we are
> done with it?
> [cut]
> >
> > Having big public elections for everything is a bad
> idea.  People will not be elected unless they are famous, but the way
> to get famous is not  the same thing as the way to be qualified for a
> technical position.

Agreed, but a technical position could be a political position at the
same time, I would like to add.

And, I should add, some of users will think it a political matter too.
I assume that is why some wise and prudent persons among us love the
idea of "steward poll". I think at any rate  if the community feel the
necessity to participant to a certain decision making process and if
there is no clear reason it haven't to, it would be strongly better to
let the community do so.

Some polls among us are really messy. But at least the current
stewards were elected by polls and some of them are inactive on
English Wikipedia, if I recall correctly. So in my feeling, you, to
JImbo, become a bit sensitive to this matter. If the possibility of
too much En inclined result is a problem, you can modify the poll with
caps, for example, 3 of 10 should be the users who are mainly active
on other projects than En.

> So, right now, Jimbo, you should nominate
>
> Britty
> Waerth
> Yann
> Aurevilly
> Fire
> Oscar

For clarification: Britty hereby is identical with Aphaia on the
project (see [[meta:IRC channels]]).

As for your list, I have nothing to say. Even if nothing will come of
nothing. So please don't say to me "speak again",  I would like to add
something only for keeping the openness of decision making.

> It would be fair to wait for possibly 2 weeks so that
> the fact non-elections will occur be public and any
> intersted person can candidate.

If stewards will be appointed, in my humble opinion, such openness is
necessary. Any Wikimedia project participants can apply.

And in my opinion It would be better the board, not one Trustee, even
if he is the Founder and 'benevolent dictator" of the entire project
make a decision who would be appointed, because in my observation some
of us think it as a community matter, not only a technical issue. And
I don't think such feeling can be easily ignored. Two of trustees
represent the whole users and it would be always expected their voice
are esteemed, hence their participation to decision making.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com