[Foundation-l] New elections for stewards

Magosányi Árpád mag at bunuel.tii.matav.hu
Sat Mar 5 09:32:06 UTC 2005

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Anthere a következőeket írta:
> For these reasons, a new election to name a couple
> more stewards will be held in the near future, as soon
> as we agree on the election rules.

Regarding election rules, I suggest to study the Debian
project: http://www.debian.org/vote/

Debian uses a Condorcet method, namely Cloneproof Schwartz Sequential Dropping.
They have a default "none of above" option.
Point 5.2 of the Constitution contains the rules for
electing the project leader, and appendix A contains
the general resolution procedure.

I think that these rules are the most democratic ones
among those I have seen so far.

Debian developers have pgp key, which makes the election
rather resistant against cheating. As wikimedia editors
are less formally selected, and do not necessarily have
a pgp key, it might be sufficient to authenticate them
using their username/password (which shows the problem
that accounts have no correlation between different parts
of wikiworld, but this can worked around by appointing
one part of wikiword for elections, like meta (for it is
such things) or wikipedia (for it have the most of the accounts
already, i guess)). There could be some additional controls
against cheating, if it is deemed to be an issue, like
giving vote right only to accounts which created before a
preset date, or those who have actual edits.

This (and I guess most of the voting methods proposable)
brings up the need to create the software which manages
the vote count (and I would prefer to see a software
managing the whole procedure, but it is not necessary
to hold an election).

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból