[Foundation-l] New elections for stewards

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 08:13:57 UTC 2005

Hi all

In the past months, some editors have expressed the
desire to become stewards. At the same time, some
editors expressed the regret that there is no steward
able to understand japanese or chinese and finally
some editors complained current stewards were
sometimes too slow to answer requests.

For these reasons, a new election to name a couple
more stewards will be held in the near future, as soon
as we agree on the election rules.

The past year activity showed that to be most useful a
steward :

* had to be available
* had to participate to request for permission and
steward log activity
* had to be ready to help in many languages (hence be
involved in the international community) rather than
only in his or her mother language.

Actually, we rather discourage steward activity in
one's own language for any removal of status.

This suggests to me the following rules

* it is useless to keep in steward list an inactive
steward. Activity is show best by activity on "request
for permission" (log is sometimes lost). I hence
suggest that any steward with no edits on RfP and no
mention in the log for 6 months be listed as inactive
and with no activity for a year, be removed.
* a new election will be held in march (or soon)
* candidates should have shown implication in
international matters, so we could possibly require
that the candidate has sysop status on meta.
* Candidates should have at least 80% support (neutral
not counted)
* Anyone can vote provided that the editor has a valid
account on meta with a link to at least one user page
on a project where the editor is a participant
* In case of suspicion of sock puppetry, developers
could be asked to check and sock puppet votes
cancelled.

What do you think ?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards

Ant