[Foundation-l] License that cannot be used in advertisements

Thomas Koll tomk32 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 29 07:26:21 UTC 2005

Am 28.06.2005 um 20:56 schrieb Gerard Meijssen:

>> Is this a matter of copyright or of the law about the Royal
>> Family?  What would be the status of an unofficial picture taken
>> through a papparazo's telephoto lens if he chose to realease that
>> picture under GFDL?
>>

> It is against the law in the first place to use pictures of the
> Royal Family in an advertisement. A papparazo makes his foto's for
> the "gossip" press. That is not using it for advertisements.

It sounds similar to the limitations for using coats of arms, we had
quite a
long discussion on de: about that and right now we are having a
disclaimer that
there are laws to obey in Germany if one uses these coats of arms.
Maybe a simlare information would be enough.

  > As far as I know you are not allowed to use pictures of people
without their release anyway. The release of these pictures is
however explicit about what it can be used for.

It depends on how popular that person is. since the Caroline-judgment
you can
often see unimportant persons or even familiy members of pictures
blacked out.

ciao, tom
--
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:TomK32