[Foundation-l] Grants -- a proposal

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Mon Jun 20 22:48:18 UTC 2005

Hi,

There are several interesting proposals here which shouldn't be confused, even
if there are related. Earmarking a donation is something, finding new
financial resources for new projects and ideas is something else. I
understand that the former might be a problem for managing the funding in
some cases, although a possibily to express a support for a particular
project would be nice.

I am particularly interested about funding some languages not very active (or
not active at all) in Wikimedia projects upto now. I am thinking about
African and Asia languages such as Swahili, Pashto, Urdu, most Indian
languages, Burmese, Lao, Khmer, etc. There are possibilities to find new
financial resources in this area, both from persons and organisations, which
would not support the general cost of running Wikimedia projects. I think
that should be separate from funding for the general projects because it
might be seen as a way towards paying editors.

But even with funding it might not be so easy to find editors for these
languages. So far I only have three contacts who answered a mail about
writing Indian languages articles after some requests to the main Indian
universities. I think it better to find editors first, and then see if they
need some financial support.

Regards,
Yann

--