[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Research Team logo [was: Getting started]

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 21:49:38 UTC 2005

Let me get this straight.

Today, the French Wikipedia replaced its official logo with a "logo"
made of a bunch of flowers, which you designed, which makes no mention
of Wikipedia at all, bears no resemblance to the regular logo, and which
commemorates the significant event of "the end of spring."

Shortly after announcing this important event on IRC, you unilaterally
remove the logo from the research pages (including [[m:Research]], which
is not associated with the Network), and then complain to the mailing
list about a voluntary association of individuals designing their own
logo for internal use.

Is that about right?

As I have explained before, the logo does *not* stand only for the
research network. It can be used by anyone in the context of Wikimedia
research. At least one individual has put it on their user page, and
Jakob Voss put it on the general research page. It does not mention the
network at all.

If the issue is that it incorporates parts of the Wikimedia logo design,
I'm willing to design a logo that doesn't do so. Everything else should
be up to the people working on this project.

Erik