[Foundation-l] Grants -- a proposal

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Jun 19 01:40:03 UTC 2005

Hello Danny,

earmarking is something I generally support, with some caveats. My main
concern is that not everything we *should* do will necessarily be
directly funded by the community. This is especially true for
bootstrapping investments that benefit projects that currently don't
have a large supporting community yet. So I suggest that beyond overhead
costs, a substantial amount of money of every donation is also allocated
to a general bootstrapping fund to be used at the Foundation's discretion.

It could be split into different (broad) areas, e.g.:
Bootstrap - Documentation: $5K
Bootstrap - Development: $5K

I think that operational costs should take top priority. There's not
much point in asking people to fund development if we can't afford to
keep the servers running. So during a fundraising drive, only after our
goal is met, the "slots" for targeted donations should be opened. This
might also add some excitement to the drive.

My other concerns are usability-related. I think if we do this, we need
to plan the implementation properly. I'd be glad to assist with that,
though not immediately (perhaps after Wikimania there will be some
time). In fact, I can envision this to eventually become a project of
its own and extend beyond Wikimedia's own needs, to fund open source
development and free content. But that's very long term thinking (years).

Best,

Erik