[Foundation-l] Re: Officially protesting against GerardM being thecontactperson withregards to kennisnet

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 11:39:29 UTC 2005

Ola, cool down both of you.

We like and respect both of you, and Gerard as well.

Now, Sabine. As long as a discussion occurs privately, you may not know
there was ever private discussion. It is only when such discussions
occur publicly that everyone suddenly discovers things (and complain
things should be discussed privately first).

Fact is that these discussions have occured privately, then
semi-privately on irc.
Fact is that other people than Waerth have complained about Gerard being
often a bit overbearing, but are not willing to say it aloud.
Fact is it is not only about Kennisnet, but also about the Dutch
association.

On the other hand, it is most unfortunately frequent that those being
very very bold are also very very criticized by others... for being
bold, for going to quickly etc... Some people are bold and quick, but
often take no time to listen to others and act in a consensual way.
Others are more hesitant, slow, more respectful, but listen more than
they act, so do far less.
We need all types. If only the first bold type, wikipedia would be a
battlefield. If only the second type, few things would get done. So it
might be good that we have Gerard being bold (and sometimes upsetting
people) and Waerth being openly critical of Gerard actions.

The only things that really is important, is that all voices are heard
in the end... and currently, as an observer of the past months, I fear
it is not so clear that all voices were heard and all opinions taken
into account.

Waerth is part of our community, just as is Gerard or you, or other
dissenters. I do not think we should say to anyone part of the community
  to shut up. Maybe to talk differently, maybe to act differently, but
not to shut up.

And in any cases, distress is obvious, I do not think we should dismiss
it. And I say this not only because of Waerth email (as usual, very
impetuous as Waerth always is), but also because of other voices I have
heard (less impetuous, but critical as well).

I have unfortunately no idea what we could do at this point... :-(
Maybe talking about it publicly if people have the willingness to do so
? (without fear)

Ciao to both of you.

ant