[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimania

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 18:10:51 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken a écrit:
 > In the name of openness I am really interested in seeing a complete list
 > of the people receiving complete or partial sponsorships to go to
wikimania.

 > Waerth/Walter van Kalken

I am aware only of those who received a sponsorship from OSI,
sponsorship which I coordinated. The name of the people may be found
below. They received complete sponsorship from OSI to come to Wikimania.

We have been in contact with OSI for several months now. We met with
their board in december 2004. They would like to help development of our
projects and help distribution of our content in particular on the
african continent, which will be the topic of my talk at Wikimania.

Over 30 people were considered and eventually contacted for this
sponsorship. The final choice focused on speakers, on people known by
OSI, on natives from developing or transition countries... and generally
people living far way so unlikely to support their trip themselves. One
important point was to make it possible that Wikimania is truely
international and not only european, which is quite naturally occuring
due to travel costs. The total budget of those people coming was
estimated by Delphine and Sj. Delphine is currently securing the last
plane tickets and making a final summary of how much all that will cost.
  Roughly 20 000 dollars.

We are very glad OSI offered this opportunity to expand the circle of
those coming. I must insist that neither wikimania, nor at a much
smaller scale OSI sponsorship, were (still are) easy to manage. It
requires a lot of work, a lot of implication, generally totally
invisible from editors ... but this is important both to make a good
Wikimania and to start some new opportunities to discuss and start
collaborations.

Aside from this, it will be proof that about a dozen volunteers can make
something huge happen. In front of many sponsors, we appear as non
necessarily credible, because our organisation is pretty much anarchic.
It is very important for all of us that Wikimania is a success and
important as well that we manage to find good people to invite to
Wikimania in a very short timespan. It is proof we can make it. And
proof we can be reliable. And potentially ready for bigger grants.

I can not answer myself for other supports.

Anthere

---------

Mao		Isaac
Tall		JC*
Derakhshan	Hossein
Silva		Rui
Chaparro	Enrique
Bayazidis	Isam
Suárez		Ascánder
Soekatno	Revo Arka Giri
Ruiz		Juan David
Aineruhanga	Milton

Due to organisational issues, Mr Tall will probably not come though.