[Foundation-l] Social issues for the newer projects

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:07:35 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:

>--- SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Michael, thanks for starting such an interesting
>>thread.
>>
>>On 7/7/05, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>>>So, in that respect, Wikinews is quickly growing
>>>

>>beyond the point where
>>

>>>the effect you mention is highly significant. I
>>>

>>also think that in terms
>>

>>>of "quality content", the community has produced
>>>

>>some excellent material
>>

>>>so far - on par with the best Wikipedia has to
>>>

>>offer.
>>
>>Surely you exaggerate.  The pinnacle of Wikinews
>>content is still a
>>hasty, impressionist memo next to Wikipedia's
>>nuanced and excellent
>>monographs.
>>
>>But that's just my opinion
>>Cheers,
>>   SJ
>>

>Now really, I must take issue here.
>
>Every Wikinews article is npov, fully referenced, and
>fully fact-checked. Only a handful of Wikipedia
>articles, compared to the bulk, are written to such a
>high quality.
>

>Dan

Hoi,
I do not take issue but want to note to a discrepantion. What you
describe may be true for the en.wikinews but if it is true it is
certainly not true for all the other Wikinews projects. I sincerely hope
that the other projects will be a success. But there is still a lot of
growing to do.

The London bombing had a positive effect on the Dutch Wikinews as well.
I hope we do not need many of these incidents to make the other Wikinews
sites a success too.

Thanks,
   GerardM