[Foundation-l] Fair Use and Registered Trademarks

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 7 23:19:40 UTC 2005

I'm inclined to generally agree.  There is a likelihood of confusion
between the trademark and the publication, but there are also easily
available techniques for dealing with that.  Writing a suitable
disclaimer and linking to it from every extracted article should be more
than enough to satisfy their objections about trademark infringement.

There is another version on line at  http://1911encyclopedia.org/ .They
suggest (or almost insist) that articles from them be referenced as from
"LoveToKnow 1911 Online Encyclopedia. © 2003, 2004 LoveToKnow."  Their
references to the Britannica are restricted to their front page.  This
suggests that they may have had similar discussions with them as Project
Gutenberg.

Their claim to copyright may be spurious.  The only factor that would
strongly support their claim to originality is the high level of OCR
errors. :-)

Ec