[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 06:58:10 UTC 2005

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Whether or not the majority of the people on Wikinews/Vote/Fr voted for
> or against the project is irrelevant. The project vote, as it was agreed
> by everyone involved, was an aggregated vote. The French Wikimedia
> community is part of the larger Wikimedia Foundation, which is an
> international organization. That organization has made the decision to
> launch the Wikinews project. It was only a matter of time until the
> French edition of that project was set up.

As has already been pointed out, Wikinews is a bit different than other
projects we have created before. This is due to a significant amount of overlap
between updating the encyclopedia and reporting on the news. Thus each language
community should be able to decide if they have the critical mass of editors
who do updates. If there are plenty already, then the few they lose to Wikinews
will not adversely effect the encyclopedia in that language (and may in fact
have a large net positive effect by making sure trivial current news does not
choke encyclopedia articles).

Above all else, new projects should do no harm to existing ones. Whether or not
this is now the case for any particular language community, is up to them.

Yes - I guess I am proposing an amendment to 'creating a new language version'
policy. The overlap in Wikinews makes this necessary, IMO.

-- mav