[Foundation-l] Wikinews & Bloggers: Open Chat on February 5

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Jan 28 03:10:07 UTC 2005

Jimmy suggested that we should get the blogosphere more involved in the
Wikinews project. Indeed, many bloggers do the kind of work that
Wikinews requires: summarizing the news from a large number of sources.
True, bloggers are often less than neutral, but their entries may serve
as a useful basis for Wikinews articles, if we can convince them to put
them under an open license. There is also the question of how to raise
visibility of Wikinews within the world of blogs. RSS is essential here.
We do have one useful RSS feed, namely the one of Special:Newpages, but
few people are aware of it.

In order to communicate to bloggers what Wikinews is all about, and to
get them excited about the project, we are holding an open IRC chat on
February 5, 22:00 UTC, on #wikinews (irc.freenode.net). Please help in
setting the agenda and working on the list of invitations to bloggers. I
think it would be nice if we could personalize those.

The Meta page is on

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews_Chat

which will also be used to organize the agenda for future project-wide
chats. Please register yourself there if you intend to come.

All best,

Erik