[Foundation-l] Re: Emergency Medicine Wikibook: seeking programmers and doctors, nurses, paramedics

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 05:59:16 UTC 2005

Hello,

I would like to give a precision.
Paris contacted Jimbo to talk to him about this proposal a while ago now.
We met Paris in New York, where we had the opportunity to discuss this
project around a set of beers :-)

In Paris mind, this project was not a wikibook, but rather a new
project, due to the differences he wished to be brought, both in terms
of templates, and in terms of registration.

After discussion, we agreed that this project could be part of wikibooks
rather than a new project.

We asked Paris that he send a full proposal to this mailing list, so
that everyone can grasp the implications and possibly join.

As for myself, I had not really understood what he meant by templates,
and now that I read the description, I do not think it is problematic.

A template model can be set by Paris himself (it must be defined before
starting the pages) and be used for all pages. We manage to do this for
Wikipedia for example in all country pages. Paris, see
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France and
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiproject_Countries to see what I mean.

However Paris has a point when he insists on "authority", since his area
is particularly technically and legally touchy.

Still, Paris, the strength of the wiki model is precisely that anyone
can edit. If only to help you set the template, or fix typos or do
categories etc...

I do think you can start the project without mandatory "creditials
request". And I think you can do it within wikibooks to start

Here is what I suggest

First, make it clear that there will be a dual population authorized to
edit these page
* the crowd, with no credentials given. This crowd might possibly be
autorized by "rules" (human rules rather than technical rules) not to
edit the medical content. You might request a sort of moral engagement
not to do so, and it is your business to enforce this. Of course, such a
rule should have to be approved by participants to this project

* some people with credentials. They would be adding the medical content
mostly. OR they would be the ones authorized to validate  it. You can
equally make a template for them to put on their pages, where they will
state all what you mentionned. You could make a special page to list all
of them, and display it proeminently on the main page of your book. You
could also make a rule so that these guys make a validation committee
and might have the right to "approve" article with a big stamp.

Aside from technical possibilities, you have a lot of power as a
*human*, through the strength of recommandations, through rules and
through enforcement. Actually, if the community editing the book agrees
with such guidelines and believe faithfully in its wiseness, it will be
more powerful than any technical fancy feature.

What you need "now" is not tech, what you need it people, many people,
some with credentials, some without, and build a community around it,
with its own local rules.

I understand the need for "stamp of approval", but it will be important
when there is "content". For now, there is no content. Build the
framework, animate the community, add the content, then, there will be
something to protect. The community will protect the content. And you
can then use your group of "credited" people to set a
validation/approval system which will please outside people.

Do you really think a "paper" encyclopedia is ONLY written by big
professors ????

No, I do not think so, there are people taking care of typo,
reorganising text to make it look better, working on displaying pictures
in a nicer way. The big professor just add quickly the content, let it
for others to organise it well, put their big names as a stamp of
approval somewhere, and then, they go to a conference.

Just do the same :-) And you'll see that will work fine.

What you need is human leader to get it started and serious work on
mission statement, guidelines and policies; That will work :-)

Anthere