[Foundation-l] New project proposal : wikimaps

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Jan 20 15:17:24 UTC 2005

I just thought I'd submit this here, so it can go through the "proper
chanels"... :-)

My latest software can generate maps from data stored in wiki pages.
Automatically generated maps should be used in Wikimedia and other
projects (wikitravel comes to mind). You probably saw my mail(s) on
wikipedia-l, but here's the link to the demo site again:
    http://magnusmanske.de/wikimaps/index.php/Main_Page
(requires SVG-enabeled browser).

I hereby request this as a new project (we already do have wikimaps.org,
right?).

IMHO a separate, single server would be best suited for this. With a lot
of data, map generation will slow down, and it should not slow down
other projects in turn. Also, due to the speed of the wikimedia projects
(or the lack thereof), I propose waiting for the next batch of servers
to be installed before doing this.

There's the question of the license for the data we will collect. PD?
GFDL? CC-BY-SA? If we say geo-data should be public domain, can we
really slap a "GFDL" on it? Or maybe we should dual-license out to-be
data CC-BY-SA and GFDL, to give maximum freedom while ensuring the data
stays free?

Magnus