[Foundation-l] Concern with performance issues

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jan 17 21:05:51 UTC 2005

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> Robin Shannon wrote:
>
>> Why, what is wrong with having "people dedendent on the Foundation for
>> a regular source of income."? If we were to use only contract workers,
>> a new person would have to learn the whole system every 3 months, and
>> it would also make longer term projects more difficult to
>> do. Contract workers, for sys admin is just crazy talk.

>> If anybody is interested, another FOSS project that has been paying
>> cash for doing development in this fashion is the Freenet Project
>> (http://freenet.sourceforge.net/).  There are some projects that have
>> "gone commercial" that perhaps could be compared as well, but the
>> point here is that Wikipedia is growing to the point that having some
>> sort of professional staff might just be necessary.
>
> I think you can set some guidelines down on who would be elegible for
> recieving these funds, including perhaps a requirement that the
> developer must have been doing volunteer development work for a given
> number of months, nominated by the other developers, or "hired" by the
> community in some fashion that has widespread approval that the
> individual getting the contract really is worthy of getting paid.
> Basically, this is "one of us" that is very good at what they are
> doing, and already working with the volunteer developers.  Sometimes
> this relationship may change with money being involved, but if they
> already have good relationship with the other developers before they
> are hired, I don't think this would change.  It would be a major
> mistake to hire from outside of the group of volunteer developers if
> you intend to keep the volunteer community together.
>
> As an example, IMHO, of how volunteers have been pushed into a
> second-class category under professional staff, I would give the Open
> Directory Project (dmoz.org) as an example.  This is to show what can
> go wrong if professional staff doesn't listen to the community.  I
> have been a volunteer editor there for almost five years now, and for
> awhile there was a huge influx of volunteer "editors" who helped to
> sift through web links and edit the descriptions, and create category
> classifications to organize the internet.  On the whole a rather
> ambitious project, and something that I would still like to stay
> associated with.
> I became a regional editor or a rather large category, and frankly it
> was enough to keep me busy just keeping up with all of the work that I
> was going through.  The problem I was encountering was that the
> professional staff was not really "one of us", and often ran roughshod
> over the volunteers, including me.  I would see changes even to the
> portion of the ODP that I was responsible for, with no explaination or
> warning that changes were even going to be made.  When I would
> disagree with the changes, I would be publically ridiculed as not
> understanding what was going on, even if other volunteer editors would
> [...]

Your observations are important, and reflect the reality of
organizations that depend significantly on the work of volunteers.
There is a tremendous difference between all volunteer environments, and
those with regular employees.  At the same time their is evident need
that some tasks MUST be done by someone who must go beyond what we can
expect of the most competent of our volunteers.  When I go on long road
trips I make a point of detouring to see small town museums.  I've seen
two types with significant differences.  One is owned and significantly
funded by senior governments which then hires people to do the day to
day management.  Everything on display is well-organized and documented;
the facility is well-maintained and free of safety hazards; it is clean
to the point of sterility. Contrast that with a privately owned museum
with minimal support from public funds.  The exhibits are chaos and
clutter with minimal documentation, buildings are often run-down
fire-hazards; one wonders what else is breeding in the exhibits besides
interest.  A commercial parallel to this situation might be between the
highly structured 7-11 operation and the mom-and-pop convenience store.

Full time employees profoundly alter the nature of an organization.  It
begins to put the needs of the employees above the needs of its
mission.  It becomes caught up in a succession of statutory obligations
regarding the treatment of employees.  The employees are there "all the
time", and consequently become more familiar with the operation than the
volunteers, a point which can be used as evidence to support their way
of doing things.  Funding decisions become dominated by making sure that
there is enough in the pot to pay salaries.

If the wiki way implies promoting the right to edit as fundamental to
academic freedom of the entire population, we also need to examine
closely those other social structures that can have a bearing on that
right.

Ec