[Foundation-l] Concern with performance issues

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 18:00:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:25:05 -0800 (PST), Rich Holton
<rich_holton at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are invited to help, but given no indication how we might do that.

I strongly agree with this.  Can we please put up a donation banner?

The only thing more frustrating than a prolonged speed problem is
having people say "we're working it out; just come back soon".   Even
if donations won't fix the immediate cause of this week's slowdown,
they will definitely improve speed in the future and will make users
feel better.

> However, I am becoming quite concerned about the recent performance
> issues on en.wikipedia. I don't know if there are similar issues with
> other projects or languages.

It seems pretty universal, unless you're connecting via the French
squids.  I agree that it has been bad for an *awfully* long time, and
we should make sure that this never happens again.  I've had many
quick 15-minute intervals this past week where I was at a machine with
time to work on WP projects, and that was never enough time to get
anything done.

We should also consider some method of allocating "dedicated
connections" to people for slots of time; I could make very productive
use of 5 minutes of a fast connection, rather than trying to load a
set of pages sporadically for eight hours.

+sj+