[Foundation-l] legal question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jan 10 00:18:01 UTC 2005

Robin Shannon wrote:

>I suggest Wikinerds should use exactly the same policies as wikimedia
>in all respects because obviously there could never be two sets of
>different but equally good polices (note: the sarcasm). I also suggest
>that you use words like 'we' in your suggestions , as, i am sure, it
>will make your suggestions more likely to be considered by
>wikimedians.

That depends on just what you are making policies about.  The principles
of NPOV, respect for copyright and respect for each other are quite
fundamental and should apply across the board.  Each project still needs
to apply them in a way consistent with its own circumstances.  Naming
conventions are very much project dependent.  The Esperanto Wikipedia
has chosen to put surnames in all capitals.  Others have chosen not to
follow that convention, but such an argument should not be used to make
the Esperantists comply.

Ec