[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Jan 5 19:09:29 UTC 2005

On 5 Jan 2005, at 18:04, Scott Nelson wrote:

> Unless the foundation is considering getting into the radioactive
> and/or nuclear weapon business? The French certainly do very well with
> it, and you could probably fund the entire Foundation with a couple of
> sales for quite some time.
> --
> Scott Nelson
>
> Living in a nuclear free zone.

Scott --

Do you think that publicly lobbing politically loaded insults at "the
other side" is a good way of getting people to stop arguing/defending
their political POV in public?

You can ask for this to go off-list in a neutral fashion.
You initially did that, fair enough. (NB: you and everyone's welcome to
post to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ropers ).
But you then turned around and threw a biggie into the opposite
direction. This effectively makes it impossible for the other side to
gracefully end a political thread (to the escalation of which I
probably contributed, which may not have been wise). The other side
will feel that if they don't defend their view, then you've won and
they've lost. This is like a partisan talk host who finishes with an
extreme partisan insult and then says: "Sorry. We've JUST run out of
time." and proceeds to signal for the targeted party to be cut out and
taken off the air. If you were the butt of such a "joke", would you
take it?

a not holier than thou (really)
--
Jens Ropers