[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:17:17 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight wrote:

> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Christiaan,
>> It is one thing to split articles into two, it is another to castrate
>> the talk pages and move all things that are not to your liking
>> elsewhere. Your right to ask for a method to have mechanisms into the
>> mediawiki software is equal to my right to have an angst of this
>> first step of introducing censorship into our projects.
>

> THERE. IS. NO. CENSORSHIP.

No need to shout and yes we disagree on that one. The way you lot have
been trampling on my views on this has the hallmarks of censorship. Yes,
in my opinion this proposal is about censorship.

>> *Your proposal will make it mandatory to allow for
>> tags/categorisations so that censorship will work.
>

> Our proposal will make it POSSIBLE for categories to be used by
> END-USERS to CHOOSE what they wish to see.

We disagree on this one. For it is not only end users that will choose.
Read your own proposal point 4.

>> *Your original article title was End-user content suppression and
>> decided that this was not "good" renamed it to image suppression
>

> Because the focus was and has always been on images. Whether like
> measures need to be taken for text is a different discussion.

Technically it is not different so why should it be a different discussion ?

>> *There has already been one anonymous coward asking for using your
>> censoring mechanism for content.
>

> What?

Right, it is a straw mans argument that one thing leads to the next.
Read the history if you can still find what was said. It is there.

>> *You have repeatedly removed all things you thing are detrimental to
>> your proposal from the article and its talk page
>

> The article was intended for a discussion of the technical side of it.
> Policy can be dealt with elsewhere.

It may have been intended by you for this. On Meta no case has been made
why we should want such an abomination.

>> *Basically you ask for censorship and find people who oppose it.
>

> You really need to read the wikien-l archives. Christiaan was one of
> the most vocal opponents of linking images instead of inlining them.

I do not need to read the wikien-l archives. They have no bearing upon
META. If you want to propose something on META put your case forward on
META. I would not ask you to read the wikpedia-nl mailing list either.
Either put your case forward or you do not have a case.

>> As to your question, withdraw your proposal or allow for criticism.
>

> Constructive criticism is always welcome. Blanket false statements are
> not.

Your idea of what is true and false is coloured by where you stand,
where you are from. Your truth is just that. Making me out for a liar
and being not constructive is well, not friendly to say the least.

Thanks,
    No thanks !
       GerardM