[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Wed Feb 23 17:16:35 UTC 2005

I really didn't come here to debate this issue. I came here looking for
dispute resolution procedures.

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> The proposers of this idea assume that mechanism for censorship will
> only be triggered by individuals

No, actually they don't. This is clearly covered in the article and in
discussions I have already had with you on [[Talk:End-user image
suppression]].

> They fail to answer several questions:
> * Who is going to add these tags

 From the article:
Tagging images would simply involve ensuring that [[potentially
offensive images]] have all been given [[categories]] as per normal
procedures.

> * What is the basis for tagging content. What to be done when someone
> comes along who wants even more tagging or the tagging of different
> categories.

 From the article:
Tagging images would simply involve ensuring that [[potentially
offensive images]] have all been given [[categories]] as per normal
procedures.

> * How do you prevent organisations or countries from censoring our
> content using our own mechanism

The mechanism is categorisation, which we already a have, so you don't,
not now not ever.

> * How do you ensure that the integrity of our NPOV content is
> maintained if people will not see the whole of our content

It is up to the user what they see and what they don't. This proposal
actually ensures that images are not completely removed from the
servers or suppressed by default as is already happening now.

> * What argument do you have against tagging content if you state that
> this is only about images

As noted on [[Talk:Potentially offensive images]] this scheme is a
reaction to events that have been taking place regarding controversial
images on Wikipedia. Images are immediate; there is no other way to
avoid them when surfing to a page other than to have them turned off or
hidden. In this sense they a kind of push media.

> Censure is what I do not want for our content.

Self-censorship is already taking place on Wikipedia. This scheme would
help put an end to self-censorship.

Christiaan