[Foundation-l] currency POV

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Feb 20 00:34:45 UTC 2005

NSK wrote:
> "Wikimedia needs your help in its $75,000 (€57,500) fund drive."
>
> It should be:
>
> "Wikimedia needs your help in its US$75,000 (€57,500) fund drive."

Why?  The $ symbol, as applied to units of capital called "dollars", was
developed for use with US currency.  I don't really think there's an
NPOV violation going on if the "US" is omitted when representing US
dollar amounts.  This would, I think, be one of those occasions where it
tends to work equally well either way without an implied bias, though
prepending "US" might help disambiguate the representation in cases
where the $ symbol is used for several different currencies.

--
Chad