[Foundation-l] And blocked again

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Feb 15 16:18:21 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken (walter at vankalken.net) [050216 03:03]:

> >Unfortunately, open proxies in this manner constitute a public problem on
> >the Internet. Wikipedia blocks them on sight because they are primarily
> >used for abuse.
> >If you HAVE to use that proxy if you want to use that ISP, at this stage
> >it's up to you to get them to run their systems competently.

> If they constituted a problem on all wikipedia's they were blocked on
> all wiki's it is clear you do not know the situation in other countries.

They're permanently blocked on first abuse on en:, so I'm not surprised
that ja: treats them similarly.

> The provider will laugh. If I cancel my contract I have to pay 150
> dollars and loose my 20% discount on my telephone lines. I do not have
> this kind of money. This is food for 3 weeks for me!!!

Unfortunately, this looks more like a bad purchase on your part than a
reason to open Wikipedia to abuse.

> Japanese
> wikipedia should not block them. I am not a vandal. I wrote over 500
> articles on nl. I started nl.wikinews partly. I contributed articles in
> other languages and you give me this bull??????

If the proxy was unbanned but then banned again, it strikes me that it was
more likely done because of abuse by others than as any sort of personal
attack on you, which is what you appear to be treating it as.

It still seems truly weird that they would run their proxy server as an
open public sewer, but force you to use it. Have you even asked them about
this? It's more likely to be an effective move in resolving the problem.

- d.