[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Feb 10 19:14:33 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
> The thing is you're still presupposing that an existing wikipedia has a
> right to block the existence of a new Wikipedia.
>
> I ask the Board: is this the case?

Not speaking here for the board, but only offering my own tentative
opinion, the answer to this is "no" in the general case, but that such
factors can be a part of the overall decision.

I am told repeatedly by many people that while Mandarian and Cantonese
are mutually unintelligible in the spoken form, in written form they
are the same.  This is pretty compelling for me.

If there is a significant population of people who can not read/write
standard written Chinese, but *can* read/write Cantonese in some
writing system that is different, then I want to learn about that,
because that would be a very compelling factor in the other direction.

--Jimbo