[Foundation-l] Re: Progress on wikimedia.com?

Arne Klempert wikipedia at klempert.de
Wed Feb 9 16:51:04 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, February 09, 2005 6:41 AM
Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Erik Moeller a écrit:
>> I seem to recall that there were negotiations underway at some point
>> with the owner of wikimedia.com on transferring that domain name to
>> the Foundation. To this day, there is no content under the domain,
>> not even ads, just a German "Under construction" notice. I would
>> like to inquire what the outcome of the past negotiations was. If
>> they failed, is there any chance that we can get the domain by
>> virtue of owning the trademark rights to "Wikimedia", and the domain
>> name not being used in any other way by its owner?
>
> Negociations were under way with a member of the german association. I
> do not remember with certainty who. Possibly akl.

Yes. After I got no respond to my first mail (should be in the archive
of this list) I tried it by phone (didn't reach the person who is named
in the whois database, but the guy I talked to seemed to qualify for
making decisions). He said he would have a look at my mail and would
respond - but he didn't. After a kind reminder mail I called him again,
and he said again that he would answer the mail - but he didn't.

After that I came to the conclusion that he won't give it away unless
we're putting the screws on. So I decided to wait until Wikimedia is
registered as a trademark at least in the U.S. Could anyone tell me if
this is already done?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_trademarks
seems a little bit outdated :-(

I'll forward my mails and the contact informations to Erik.

-Arne (akl)