[Foundation-l] Re: Progress on wikimedia.com?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Feb 9 16:01:38 UTC 2005

Ant-

> I think the issue is NOT entirely the one of "confusion". But also an
> aspect of image, self-image.
>
> When we use explicitely the word "foundation", we transmit a certain
> message to the reader.

Well, we do explicitly use that word on the website. Do we have to use
it in the domain name? Let's look at some foundations Google gives us:

Rockefeller Foundation - rockfound.org
Ford Foundation - fordfound.org
Heritage Foundation - heritage.org
Apache Software Foundation - apache.org
Free Software Foundation - fsf.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation - eff.org
Arthritis Foundation - arthritis.org
Kellogg Foundation - wkkf.org
Open Societiy Institute - soros.org
Benton Foundation - benton.org
Global SchoolNet Foundation - globalschoolnet.org
MacArthur Foundation - macfound.org
Hewlett Foundation - hewlett.org
Packard Foundation - packard.org
Andrew Mellon Foundation - mellon.org
Carnegie Corporation - carnegie.org
Templeton Foundation - templeton.org

Most large, successful foundations have one thing in common: short
domain names. Besides the ones listed, many have haphazardly constructed
three- or four-letter acronyms, and some major ones even use the ugly
shorthand "found" as a disambiguation instead of the longer
"foundation". Whenever possible, foundations seem to use the word.org
form. Make no mistake, there's plenty of foundations with "foundation"
in the URL, but for the cases I could come up with, this is because a
shorter name was not available (e.g. gates.org is taken by some guy's
mail server). I haven't found a single one which redirects a short name
to a longer one.

Having a short domain name is very important. Many people don't use
bookmarks, and they will visit a site only if they feel like typing the
name. wikimediafoundation.org is 23 characters, longer than every single
name on the Alexa top 100 websites list. Conveying the message that we
are a foundation is best left to the website content, in my opinion,
rather than the domain name. I don't see emphasis as a sufficient reason
to keep a long name, otherwise we might as well call it
wikimedianonprofit.org or wikimediafreeknowledge.org to emphasize other
aspects of importance.

Regards,

Erik