[Foundation-l] Re: Bulgarian Wikinews launched

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 06:53:55 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller a écrit:
> Ant-
>
>> I am quite certain we will not have time this evening. There are
>> topics which are much more urgent to fix.
>

> Do we even need board approval for this? Perhaps a community vote on
> what should be done would be sufficient:
>
> 1) Launch the project under the same conditions as all others
> 2) Only launch it if a majority of Chinese language community supports it
> 3) Only launch it if a majority of global user community supports it
> 4) ...?

If you desire it so.
But given the general opposition of the chinese community, it would be
nice to ask them their opinion, even though a couple of people are
asking for it.

>> The failure of french launching is enough in one month.
>

> No delay would have changed the fact that there is more opposition to
> Wikinews in the French language community than in others.

It would have made a difference. Many french are not opposed strictly,
but think it is too early. So, a delay would have been a good thing.

  That makes it
> obviously more difficult to promote the project, and contributors may
> feel less comfortable working for it if they feel its very existence is
> threatened.

I see not why they feel its existence is threatened. They simply do not
work on it because they are not interested.

It's also true that the time spent on the flamewar about the
> French Wikinews could have been spent building it.

I do not think so, you and I are not contributors to it :-) Neither is
notafish :-)

So, the Swedes (90
> articles! I hope they aren't copyvios), the Spanish and the Dutch have a
> bit of a headstart, but I'm confident that the French community will
> eventually build a truly great resource at fr.wikinews.org. If you can
> help in promoting the project, that would be appreciated.

Sorry, I am rather busy trying to explain journalists the great idea
behind it. Last week, I explained it to Les Echos
(http://www.lesechos.fr/). I would have preferred talking to them about
a successful project such as wikipedia :-)