[Foundation-l] Re: Bulgarian Wikinews launched

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Feb 7 06:25:20 UTC 2005

Ant-

> I am quite certain we will not have time this evening. There are
> topics which are much more urgent to fix.

Do we even need board approval for this? Perhaps a community vote on
what should be done would be sufficient:

1) Launch the project under the same conditions as all others
2) Only launch it if a majority of Chinese language community supports it
3) Only launch it if a majority of global user community supports it
4) ...?

> The failure of french launching is enough in one month.

No delay would have changed the fact that there is more opposition to
Wikinews in the French language community than in others. That makes it
obviously more difficult to promote the project, and contributors may
feel less comfortable working for it if they feel its very existence is
threatened. It's also true that the time spent on the flamewar about the
French Wikinews could have been spent building it. So, the Swedes (90
articles! I hope they aren't copyvios), the Spanish and the Dutch have a
bit of a headstart, but I'm confident that the French community will
eventually build a truly great resource at fr.wikinews.org. If you can
help in promoting the project, that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Erik