[Foundation-l] Wikistandards (was Requests for new Wiki projects)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Feb 4 18:53:56 UTC 2005

kylelutze wrote:

> I'm not sure wikibooks is the best place to start, but a wikistandards
> site is definitely something I'm interested in. There's only a couple of
> problems I see with it. As it is a wiki, and some of these standards are
> rather important, if somebody puts some false info into a standard, and
> people start using it while most others are using the correct one, this
> could lead to problems. The other is copyright infringements being made
> easily because some fool decides to post standards to a closed source
> project(I don't know if there is an easy legal way around this).
>
> Kyle

I don't think that this is nearly so much of a problem.  There would
eventually have to be some way to "freeze" a standard so only admins or
trusted individuals would be able to make minor changes to the standard.
 This would happen when a standard is considered "complete" by the group
putting the standard out, and would be a community decision.  The point
there is precisely that you don't want people inserting something into
the standard after people are trying to implement it.

The "new" version (2.0 or whatever) certainly should be modifyable, and
that would be no different than any other wikimedia project... subject
to vandalism like any other wiki page.  Trust me, most parts of a
standard are going to have some extreame scrutiny in it, and it is more
likely that people are going to be inserting "false" history into
mainline wikipedia entries, and getting away with it, than somebody
inserting false specifications into a standard.  Page history will also
be a good tool to find out just who did what, and would be used quite
often in the process of standards development.  I think editing wars
where two groups of people keep putting their "changes" into the
standard would be more of a headache, and trying to "lock out" the other
group.

As far as copyright violations, again this is just like copyright
violations for any other part of all of the Wikimedia projects.  Indeed,
I think it would be much easier for community members involved with
something like Wikistandards to be able to identify copyright violations
than would be the case for multimedia items like images or sound clips.
 Those who work regularly with these standards would be able to identify
immediately when something has been copied illegally and it would be
fairly easy and straight forward to delete that content.  It would be
important, however, to remind new users to Wikistandards that they
should avoid copyright violations, particularly existing standards that
have clear copyright like ISO standards.

One potential legal hassle that would be unique to Wikistandards would
be a group trying to reverse-engineer an existing standard.  Clearly the
copyright would be under the GFDL (or whatever is reasonable.... this
isn't a huge issue in this case), but there would be some other legal
minefields like the DCMA or the Patriot Act (in the USA) that might come
into play and kill the project, with possible arrest of participants in
the reverse engineering process.  Of secondary concern would be people
who have been "contaminated" by seeing the original specification
(closed, propritary, and subject to Non-disclosure agreements) and then
putting some of that original copyrighted specification into the reverse
engineering effort.  Or worse yet, the company(ies) involved with the
original spec deliberately contaminating the reverse engineering spec
and through that killing the spec.  I'm not even sure what policies
should be reasonable to try and avoid these issues.  I do think groups
like the EFF and Groklaw would get heavily involved if legal issues did
come up, particularly if individuals arrested were otherwise innocent
participants in the process.  Indeed, such arrests would make major
headlines, particularly among "geek" news sources like Slashdot or Wired.

The only reason I'm suggesting to start through Wikibooks is only
because these are already book-like projects, and it is a good way to
bootstrap the whole thing to see if it can be a viable project on its
own.  Even if Wikistandards die and doesn't do too well, the content can
be maintained by the existing Wikibooks community, even if it is an ugly
step child.

--
Robert Scott Horning
218 Sunstone Circle