[Foundation-l] (no subject)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 05:59:07 UTC 2005

Hello all

This week, I will go to a meeting in France about
sustainable development and new technologies.
There should be many interesting people, some of them
already know us and are already trying to set
collaborations with us.
There should be discussions about how new technologies
could help underdevelopped countries, or about
structuring information on internet (semantic web,
thesaurus, dictionaries...), or about how to improve
accuracy of information available on the net, open
source software, collaborative platforms, e-learning
etc...

This will last two days, but I could only find one day
to get there infortunately. At least, I chose the one
probably most interesting for us.

The organiser of the meeting (Michel Giran of
Planetecologie) invited me for free and will provide
room on his own booth for Wikipedia (booth and
registration was 500 euros otherwise...). Normally, a
poster was done with our logo on it.

I spent the last few days fighting with software to
manage to print business cards and leaflets, and must
say I am *very* proud of the result (eh :-)). The
resulting leaflet is informative, colorful, high
quality printing and fun. I hope other people will use
it as well. Normally, they should not need any update
for a reasonable number of months, and if necessary,
update under Quark Xpress should be easy (as long as
you do not try to mix old macintosh software and
recent PC software... but never mind).

When I came back from Algeria, I had a whole set of
pictures (only part of them have been uploaded yet and
none is labelled :-)). Among these pictures, a photo
of flower of the Thora Thora, a tree which may be
found in Sahara. I just put the picture on my user
page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Anthere)
A few days later, I found that the picture on the
french wikipedia has flowered in a full article about
the thora thora, which I discover, is also known under
the sweet name : Pommier de Sodome (see the reason for
this name on the french article...). Thanks Jeantosti
: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommier_de_Sodome

I could not resist taking this article as an example,
for being about african flora, for being a very nice
example of our botanic section, and for the little
cultural background. And also, because it was enough
that I put a picture on my user page for this article
to miraculously appear.

Anyway, the resulting pdf which may be printed is
about one mega in size. Where could I host it so that
other people might use it later to print more leaflets
if they wish so ?

Second point is that I had unfortunately to rework
James business cards, because ... of non-operability
between european format and american format :-(
So, now I do have on my computer a high quality
Wikimedia logo and business card models in european
format (adobe illustrator files) which could be easily
reused if needed. Again, where could I host this so to
avoid that anyone has to do this job another time.
Between James cards and mine, we shoud cover 99% of
usual format (I might mention that I basically
followed James design at first, but finally made a
couple of changes).

Ant