[Foundation-l] Language autonomy and "readiness" (was: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 10:04:37 UTC 2005

Erik,

But to be clear, I don't think you technically did anything wrong. It was all a
big misunderstanding that was based upon some fairly untested policies. What is
important for us now, is to make sure we don't make the same mistakes in the
future.

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> That's not my point. My point is that you have not presented data in
> support of your hypothesis at all.

I supplied arguments. You did the same and also supplied data that only proved
a point I had conceded at the very start of this whole thing. Thus the effect
of your data on this argument is moot.

> I do not see it as an imposition, but as the logical outcome of the
> global vote.

You are welcome to that view. Many other people in the language communities
that are affected by this 'logical outcome' have views that are contradictory
to yours. Their voices and opinion about what is logical are also important and
should be considered. Not just brushed aside because the global majority has
spoken.

> Running a global organization like Wikimedia is always a
> balancing act between preserving a coherent identity and respecting
> local variations.

Thus my proposal to have Wikimedia-wide votes about the establishment of a
project and if that passes (and gets board approval), then it would be up to
individual language communities to figure out when it is a good time to start
that project in their language.

This balances things very well. More importantly, it would have avoided the
current ugliness.

-- mav