[Foundation-l] Language autonomy and "readiness" (was: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 08:15:46 UTC 2005

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Aside from what people's feelings are, it is important to collect
> empirical data. So far, your claim that Wikipedia will lose contributors
> to in-the-news articles because of Wikinews is unproven. It may in fact
> be the other way around, given that Wikinews prominently links to as
> much Wikipedia material as possible.

Again, those data were in a language that I already noted was fine for
Wikinews. And English, being such an international language and spoken by so
many people can not be a used in such a test. The English-speaking community of
users working on Wikimedia projects is huge. So your results are not at all
surprising.

> But the arguments that have been brought up against the French Wikinews
> are just the same that have been brought up against Wikinews in general:
> It could harm our reputation, it could lead to legal problems, etc.
> Whether these arguments outweigh the benefits of the project has been
> addressed in a global vote.

Imposing the results of a global vote onto a language community which has a
great deal of opposition to the vote result, is not something that makes for
harmonious co-existence between languages. This is especially true when a large
plurality of the global vote is from a single language community.

So global votes are great for deciding if the foundation wants to start a new
project at all. But whether or not particular language communities are ready
for that project should be up to them - not forced onto them.

> What is a good solution to that problem? Perhaps, as soon as the
> required number of contributors is reached, there should be a vote on
> when the desired launch date is. "Never" would not be an option in that
> vote, but it could have a scope of, say, 4 weeks. This would also be a
> test of whether the people who pledged to participate are actually still
> around and interested, so the vote could have the same minimum number of
> participants.

'Never' is not a valid option. I can agree with that. But 'not in the immediate
future' *would* have to be an option, IMO.

> I am opposed to delaying the creation of Wikinews just because a
> Wikipedia in the language in question is still too small. That would
> create a hierarchy of projects. When there are participants, the project
> should be launched - but the timetable for the launch could be set by
> the community.

You are putting words into my mouth. I never said that Wikpedians in a certain
language decide this, I said that the relevant language community decides it
(well at least if I did say it, that was not what I meant :). *All* Wikimedia
projects in a particular language have a stake in a new project in their
language. Thus all Wikimedians who participate in those language project
versions need to be heard.

-- mav