[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 04:11:03 UTC 2005

> That is your opinion. In my opinion, it is the will of the Wikimedia
> community as a whole which counts. Wikimedia is a global project. It's
> not up to the French Wikimedia community to decide by majority that they
> don't want Wikinews, unless they have France-specific reasons for not
> wanting it. And I am supported in this both by policy and by statements
> of the Board to this effect, when I asked them this very question two
> months ago. Yes, I asked the Board whether we should treat the French
> Wikinews differently from the others because of the way the vote went,
> and the answer was no - I can document this with IRC chatlogs if
> necessary. This, by the way, is an interesting test case for language
> autonomy. And I firmly support the principle that Wikimedia-wide
> decisions can overrule local ones.

This worries me for two reasons. One) half (or so) of all wikimedians
are editors on en. Two) most discussion about not just new projects
but everything is in english.

paz y amor,
[[User:The bellman]]

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/