[Foundation-l] Project Wikineur

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 04:02:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:47:51 +1100, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Rebecca (misfitgirl at gmail.com) [050201 10:34]:
>
> > Wikibooks are on a specific theme. Work manuals can make good
> > Wikibooks. And Wikibooks, whether single or in a series, can be made
> > consistent, with the same set of headings and the same way of
> > detailing information. I just can't see any reason to make this a
> > seperate wiki - it'd just be a wikibook that we decided to promote
> > above all the others, which isn't fair.
>
> Unless it's Wikipedia, which is fair cos it's by far the hugest wiki book!

Or wiktionary.Or wikiquote...

Wikibooks was set up to be the home of textbooks. Not books, but
Textbooks. Hence why wikpedia, wiktionary and wikiquote are not on
wikibooks (other than historical accident). I really dont think it is
fair to the wikibooks community, that we tell every new wikiproject to
go set up on wikibooks. Its in risk of becoming the wikimedia dumping
ground. Either we need to start telling people, go set up on
wikicities, so we can see what happens and then if we like it we might
invite you into the wikimedia family (as Jimbo has suggested) or
create a wikilabs (as me and sj have suggested). There are lots of
things of wikibooks right now that shouldnt be there. Take the
cookbook for example; some wikipedians decided the content wasn't
appropriate for wikipedia, so they pushed it off into wikibooks,
despite it not being a textbook. The gardening book aswell. This is
really the same as saying i dont want to throw this out, and i dont
want to keep it, so ill just put it all in the backyard shed and
pretend its not there.

 I personaly think that something like the cookbook, or the gardening
book should have thier own wikis, and also another wiki with the
working title DIYwiki, should be set up. The DIY wiki would not have
text books, but rather could house lots of the stuff that is currently
on wikibooks, but shouldnt be. Like the bycycle repair book. The
computer repair book. First Aid etc, plus the possiblity for many many
more. I believe that this wiki should not be made up os "books" like
wikibooks, but be more like wikipedia in style. For example: it would
be [[drainage ditch]] not [[farming:drainage ditch]] (wikibooks
style). The article would be a couple of sections
# Intro paragraph on what drainage ditches are, where and how they are used
# TOC
# How to build a dranage ditch
## Method 1
## Method 2
### Minor variation on Method 2
## Method 3
# How to repair a drainage ditch
## Method 1
# Other Important notes on drainage ditches
# Further Reading
# References

/me puts on asbestos underware.
so what do you all think?

paz y amor,
[[User:The bellman]]

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/