[Foundation-l] Invariant Sections (was "Fair Use does not apply to DSM material or any other APA/APPI content." um, wtf?)

xkernigh at netscape.net xkernigh at netscape.net
Mon Dec 26 23:37:24 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> It would probably be impractical for us to take anything but the
definitions from thes works, but I do note that the quoted comments say
"we do not allow anyone to alter our material". The GFDL does allow
alterations, but also allows invariable sections. We allow the
downstream user to do what he will with the material, with no
declaration of invariant sections. Wouldn't it make more sense to have
all quotations declared invariant.

No. The idea of "Invariant Section" is to have a section that can never
be altered or _removed_ from a GFDL book.

For example, if I modify the manual for GNU Emacs, I cannot modify "GNU
General Public License", "The GNU Manifesto", nor "Distribution" (which
explains how to obtain Emacs from GNU), but further, I must include all
three of those sections with my modified manual.

Suppose that all quotes in Wikibooks are Invariant Sections. Then even
if I want to copy and redistribute one chapter of a Wikibook, then I
must also include all of the quotes found in all other chapters of that
Wikibook. If I want to merge one chapter of that Wikibook into a
Wikipedia article, then Wikipedia must contain all of the
Invariant-Section quotes from the Wikibook, even quotes that are now
irrelevant. Further, these quotes must all be in separate sections, not
directly in the Wikipedia article.
-- [[Wikibooks:User:Kernigh]]