[Foundation-l] Jimbo's fantasy...

Kyle Lutze kylelutze at cox.net
Tue Dec 13 02:52:11 UTC 2005

here's my idea to help the fantasy, but also keep up in general.

I found this one program interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CryptoDerk/CDVF
the problem is that multiple editors may be looking at the same page,
making it ineficient.

I also came along another interesting program:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/vilerage/Screenshot-3.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/vilerage/Screenshot-2.png
granted they're only images of a project in the works, but it also has
the flaw of not being realtime, so my idea is to combine both of them.

In short, there is a backend server that everybody connects to with a
program quite similar to CDVF. When an edit is made, it shows up in
everybody's window, such as with CDVF.

The only difference is, when somebody checks it out, and changes it,
that edit disappears off of _everybody's_ page. The other thing it would
do is load all unchecked edits into somebody's CDVF client when they login.

This way, we can keep all edits from going unchecked. obviously, there
would be some edits made to the way the program works (besides the
network backend) such as the ability to login and help is done on a
per-user request basis to keep trolls from being able to go in and mark
all spam off as legit. Also, to keep things in check, anybody
blacklisting a user (without a prior ban) would have to also get a vote
of x amount of people before it becomes a global blacklisted user on all
clients.

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer or have any time to learn, but I am
willing to share more of my ideas and hash things out. I'm always in
#wikipedia if you wish to chat.

On a more general note, it would be really cool to get more paid people
onboard, such as Tim Starling, and some editors that'll complete stubs.
maybe even some sort of bounty system for the articles that could use
being done but nobody wants to do?

Food for thought,
Kyle