[Foundation-l] Anons cannot create pages on english wikipedia?

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 00:56:48 UTC 2005

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> Kim Bruning wrote:
> > Correlation!=Causation.
> >
> > Because this concentrates on a particular symptom of vandalism
> > -as opposed to the actual cause- I'm expecting new pages patrol
> > become more difficult as the easy telltales are now hidden.
>
> Well at least so far, it seems that there have been two effects:
>
> 1. fewer crappy pages created
> 2. the ones that are create are as easy to identify as ever, since
> some
> of the anons are converting into 'anonymous redshirts' (i.e. users
> with
> no userpage).
>
> It will be interesting to try and gather some statistics about all
> this,
> so we can proceed with actual data.

There's a guy standing over my shoulder, from 40 feet from my cube,
who walked over, and saw the "Page creation limited" when clicking on
"MPX" from the "PowerPC G4"  .

He came to me "frustrated" and feeling "postal" (bang!) and
complained to me.

Now, I'm not saying one way or the other on the issue. I just think
the wording could be a little less forbidding.

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com
chris.mahan at gmail.com