[Foundation-l] Anons cannot create pages on english wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 22:27:21 UTC 2005

--- Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> > What is this:
> >
> > "This site has restricted the ability to create new pages. If you wish
> > to create a new page, you must first create an account or log in
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Userlogin>.
> >
> > If you'd rather not create an account or log in, consider listing a
> > request for someone else to create the page here
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles>."
> >
> > Since when is this wikimedia policy to restrict this?
>
> Since a few hours ago. It is more of a test than anything else.  Brion
> implemented it today on Jimbo's request a few hours ago, so that some
> kind of results can be obtained.  There is certainly not consensus
> support for it in the community, though a large faction certainly do
> agree.  I think this is "wait and see" time.

For the record, I very strongly support this. This is due to the fact that almost all, not just
most, new pages created by anons on the English Wikipedia are borderline to complete crap. Thus it
is sad, but necessary to limit the amount of needless clean-up work that those on new page patrol
have to do. Now they can concentrate more effort checking for other things on new pages instead of
tagging so many speedies. I’d also like to say that this should be decided on a per wiki basis
since letting anons create new pages still has more good than bad points for smaller wikis. But
the larger a wiki gets, the more overwhelming anon clean-up work is.

Anons will still be able to edit existing articles. This is fine since existing articles are much
more likely to be watched by users and decently linked from other pages.

It is also my hope that this will help push the English Wikipedia, however little, a bit from
emphasizing growth and a bit more toward emphasizing quality.

-- mav