[Foundation-l] Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE)

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Dec 5 15:40:02 UTC 2005

I think these are some great ideas.  In fact, I think some time in the
future we'll see a lot of them implemented.

The problem, I think, is that they are such a radical departure from
the normal wiki process.  Wiki markup is currently fairly simple.
There are some more complicated add-ons, such as tables, but for the
most part it's not hard to read and edit wiki-text after a basic
introduction.

Introducing detailed citation features would require either abanoning
that simplicity or abandoning the concept of writing the wikitext
directly.  Both of these would be significantly detrimental to the
Wikipedia project in the short term.

I think there needs to be a proof of concept created first.  Later,
I'm talking on the order of years, Wikipedia might be able to
incorporate many of the features into the mediawiki software.  I think
a nice WYSIWYG editor is a prerequisite though.

In the mean time, Wikipedia articles are GFDL.  There's no problem
with copying them, running them through a citation check, making
fixes, and then merging back.

Anthony