[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Sun Dec 4 07:52:48 UTC 2005

> As Gerard pointed out we also need to keep connected with the average
> contributor, to who we already owe much.  He still has a lot to say
> and a lot to offer.  We would be delighted if he could provide full
> bibliographical support for his own material, but a more realistic
> expectation would be a single link.  we don't want to fall into soome
> new form of academic elitism.

Ec, thanks for that one ... I suppose you understood also what I mean -
I am not against giving references (I add them when I have them here),
but I am not willing (or better I really do not have the time) to
re-research whatever I learnt ... and also: many things come out of
stuff I translated - sometimes when I translate things they are not for
the public in that moment (new machinery developments, sometimes press
releases that are prepared beforehand etc. - this is impossible to be
followed up and also to be cited as source - these, in the moment I work
on it, must be kept secret and I would never give that information out
before you can't read about it in other places) and that after years are
just "normal" things people talk about every day. This is valid for many
of us.

> I can now understand why some material may need to be kept unavailable
> to the public through us. If we are going to connect everything that
> must include copyright material which can only be caged in inaccesible
> archives until it can be set free.

Well, this is one of those things ... some poeple would give parts of
their copyrighted and non GFDL material to a portal if they may decide
any license for it. This means: somehwere on the web, we should have
such a place. There are for example authors that allow for publication
of their work, but they don't want it under GFDL - so what would be
wrong with such a place? It would make sure that things are collected in
"one library" and the when things become copyright free it can simply be
transferred to the right projects. And: it would be much easier to
connect things.

Ciao, Sabine