[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Dec 3 21:14:42 UTC 2005

I don't see that as what Gerard's saying at all.  We absolutely do need
to improve the quality and accuracy of information, but not to the point
that it becomes an obsession.  Failing to provide sources can leave the
accuracy of an article in doubt, but it does not imply that it is
necessarily wrong.  We need to develop a culture of accuracy based on
the positive view that providing references makes an article better, and
not the negative view that we need it because of the consequences of
some kind of rule enforcement.

One can look at the wiki as some kind of multilevel mental Mandelbrot
with different aspects being at different levels of development.  The
pattern repeats itself on individual articles, in broad areas, in sister
and other language projects, and in the project as a whole.  If over
some time period 20% of articles will achieve proper referenced status
you can't specify two out of any given ten will be happily improved.  At
the same time new stubs will be born somewhere else.  It's all in the
Zen of wiki growth.

Ec