[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 14:59:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Walter van Kalken wrote:

> SJ wrote:
>>
>> We can also track and show (as mouseover text?) the contributed-date
>> and contributing-user for every word/set of words in an article. There are
>> a few nuances in getting the attribution right, but we can
>> at least offer a first-approximation without much work.  Figuring out
>> how to effectively store and render that information, is another
>> question...
>>

> This idea is way way overdoing it in my opinion and would surely chase people
> away. I feel for having citations moved elsewhere. I do not feel every letter
> needs to be referenced only the most important facts.

It's not a matter of 'chasing people away' - leave such a feature off by
default; it wil reduce the processing problems.  But tracking who added
particular chunks of text is quite literally providing the latest
reference (and the only reference we can automatically guarantee to be
accurate within the site).

> On the "references" for the soi article. I read them, both pages. And the
> article on wikitravel is : written by people like ourselves so how can we use
> it as a reference? And second the article on wikitravel definately contains
> wrong info. So I am going to remove that source.

"People like ourselvs" -- I love it.  And what other kind of people are
there?  So you're going to remove the source because you disagree with it?
Even though you have no other source?

The Wikitravel page is another world-readable source discussing the same
topic in English -- by people who may be just as 'qualified' to opine
about Sois as you are.  If you disagree with that source, you should at
least note that people are talking about this subject on other sites.

> The other source just shows how the word SOI is written in Thai. I do not

It helps demonstrate that the word exists; which is a start (since we
don't have a wiktionary entry about it yet).

SJ