[Foundation-l] Sources and sourceability

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Sat Dec 3 14:53:21 UTC 2005

>1. I am NOT saying that every fact in Wikipedia must be sourced or  removed.
>2. I am saying that every fact in Wikipedia should be SOURCEABLE.
>3. I am not saying that everyone must give their sources whenever they  edit.
>4. I am saying that we can encourage people to work on a project to find
>sources for each fact, just like we have encouraged people to fix commas or
>categorize stubs.
>5. I am not saying that people who cannot source should be discouraged from
>editing.
>6. I am saying that we should encourage people to find sources, for their
>own work and for other's work as well.
>7. I am saying that there are many different types of sources, and we  should
>find ways of including them. (BTW, in a previous job I worked extensively
>with oral histories, which are a wonderful source of information, even if they
>must always be verified).
>7. Finally, I am saying that high quality is NOT something we can  compromise.

Danny, I understand what you mean - I understood that even before - many
of us will understand this, but many others will not ... and the problem
will not be those who understand, but those who do not understand and
who apply "rules" in a different way. Do not misunderstand my mail - it
shall make people reflect on what might happen.

When you talk about "cite sources" never ever put it into connection to
people editing and adding contents - it must be seen as something
separate - many people are not able to "separate" things themselves they
will combine and make something different out of all this.

Ciao, Sabine