[Foundation-l] Wikimedia meeting today

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:59:29 UTC 2005

On 27/08/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's about four people on the mailing list.
>
> Four? There are 236 people on that mailing list.

Really? They're not saying much though, are they? The August archive:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikinews-l/2005-August/thread.html#298

About a third of mails are people trying to unsubscribe. That says a lot!

> > It has near-zero
> > traffic as we're still small enough for *all* discussion to be kept on
> > the wiki.
>
> On which wiki?

You know exactly which one I mean.

>If you mean meta, then it was there too
> (<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License>). If you mean the
> English Wikinews, then I disagree. This was an issue affecting the
> Spanish, Serbian, and Romanian editions of Wikinews. Where other than
> meta or the mailing list were you expecting a discussion about those?
>
> > I have no idea who made that page - and certainly word of its
> > existence was never circulated.
>
> It was circulated on the mailing list. 11 different people replied to
> it. 236 Wikinewsies could have read it and circulated it to their own
> communities.

Erm, according to the page history that page was created on August 10
2005. You can read the August mailing list archive yourself - the link
is above. As you can see, it was never mentioned. And only eight
people replied to the discussion that did take place - and one of
those was asking to unsubscribe!

> Which is the reason a completely new page was made at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License

Which as we've just established, was never advertised, so is in the
chocolate teapot category.

Your own comment about it - "why another page of this?" - says it all.

Dan