[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia meeting today

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 18:33:12 UTC 2005

On 27/08/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, it has been staying on the agenda for a lonnnnng time. And
> discussed many times on the mailing list (wikinews), with some editors
> contacting us so that the issue be fixed. Hence it being listed.

Yes, the license has been discussed on and off for the entire lifetime
of the project, usually just the same arguments being rehashed over
and over. I've also noticed that fewer and fewer people are involved
in each round, probably because rarely anything ever comes of the
discussions.

There's a slight difference about us discussing amongst ourselves and
the board talking about it though. The latter *might* result in some
sort of action being taken, so in this instance the participation of
the people who actually create what will be licensed might be a good
idea.

> If you feel it would be a very very very bad idea to discuss it today as
> you would prefer that wikinewsies be warned sooner, please say it so. I
> guess we can find enough topics of discussion to fill up 2 hours. Open
> also means people should feel free to report a major issue to be discussed.

Discuss it by all means - just please don't make any decisions.
Something along the lines of "if the community comes to a decision,
we'll ratify it" might be good :-).

> I spent two hours this morning trying to clarify many pages on meta.
>
> Please see the starting page
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation. I would love that
> this page is completed little  by little to give a good overview of the
> Foundation in less than 32 ko.
>
> Could anyone help making the paragraphs about "where do we spent money"
> and "how do we get money" give a good overview to any visitors, plus
> links for deeper investigation ?
>

> Several pages have also been clarified. Such as the official positions
> and organigram ones.
>

> I would also invite editors to comment on a draft of a role, the press
> officer one, which is currently in french (I'll try to translate it
> soon). I wrote it thinking of the french association press contact, but
> I think it could enhance the description of Elian's role quite a bit.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_Officer

This is great, I'm glad people haven't given up on this :-). Although,
as Elian said, it would best if most of this was on the WMF wiki, not
meta. Two places covering the same stuff isn't great - they often
start saying slightly different things over time, and then that raises
the question of which is authoritative. There's only a few bits that
need to be editable by just anyone, and therefore remain on meta.

Dan