[Foundation-l] What? Why? Who?

Mike Morrell idaho2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:28:05 UTC 2005

Dear "Foundation" members,

I'm a very recent newbie so I apologize in advance for asking questions that
are already answered on Wikipedia. My only excuse is that I've not been able
to find them. With a whole 24 hours of Wikipedia experience under my belt,
I'm interested in the following points:

1. My first impression is that the priorities for adding or improving
Wikipedia content are mainly "contributor-driven". I'm not sure whether this
is correct. The statistics pages mainly show the growth in Wikipedia users
and the content added during the past months & years. Do we also have some
statistics showing things like hits per page and also "non-hits"? In other
words, content that non-contributing users would like to have found but
didn't? Have we carried out surveys amongst non-Wikipedians to find out what
they (potentially) would be interested in finding out at Wikipedia? I guess
I'm looking for some kind of handle to distinguish between what contributors
would like to see improved and what non-contributors would like to see
improved.

2. Is there any kind of policy or marketing group that adresses the issues
in point 1.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort in answering this e-mail.
Hopefully you can point me to the right pages and/or lists.

Idaho 2000