[Foundation-l] Re: Information flow

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 23 16:26:09 UTC 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Tim Starling wrote:
>
>>In 2003 the problem was lack of hardware.
>

> You were able to solve the problem by adding hardware. Whether
> that is a victory or a failure is a matter of opinion.
>

>>We disabled every non-essential feature: just about every query
>>page, search, even watchlists at times.
>

> Yes, blindly hacking away, disabling useful functions at random,
> instead of analyzing where the bottlenecks were.  It was very
> embarrasing to watch.  The growth numbers in 2002-2003 for
> susning.nu (which still runs on a single server) show what
> software optimization can do, should you have chosen that path.

At the time, we were using larousse, an 850 MHz P3, for our PHP
processing. You were sharing a load balanced cluster of apaches. Yes,
you were only paying $50/month for it, but it's likely you were
subsidised by their smaller customers. And we were serving 8 times as
much traffic. I really don't think you appreciate the challenge we
faced. And like Dori said, we did use profiling data to optimise the code.