[Foundation-l] Re: 300 Euro for excellent Articles: an experiment

Fantasy Fantasy at joachim.net
Fri Aug 19 15:47:32 UTC 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 Jimbo wrote:
> ...to Guaka to fund the creation of 300 articles in Bambara Wikipedia.
> This seems very nice to me. :-)

Yes, I like this Idea :-)    (Transfer details please in private email)

> I don't think that work done for money in Bambara Wikipedia will cause
> anyone in English wikipedia to think "No fair, someone in Mali is making
> $10 a week writing wikipedia articles, where is my money?"

I think, there is a general misunderstanding. My experiment was not supposed
to be 	    *"work done for money"*
but        *"a contest where the winner gets a prize (money)"*

This is a BIG difference!

In July 2003 i offered 100 Euro for the Wikipedia-Logo contest, no one
objected: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logo_contest
So we have already a "do something for Wikipedia and the winner gets money".
- Was the Wikipedia community hurt? No
- Do we have now a bad logo? No
- Did it work? Yes

		If we clearly name it as a "contest" I think it will work.

I would still be ready to give money for a contest, but I have the feeling
that you, Jimbo, and others, are not so sure if we should do it, so I will
not start any contest, except you say it is ok. (Maybe the idea just needs
some more time to mature)

Thanks for your replies,
Fantasy :-)

PS: On the german Wikipedia a lot of contests where you can get things worth
some money are working quite well ;-)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Auftragsarbeiten