[Foundation-l] Re: Information flow

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:50:45 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally strongly believe that the organisation *is not* a wiki,
> that the learning process is longer and that unfortunately, when you
> make a mistake, nobody can just revert what mistake you have made, you
> have to assume the consequences. In that, I believe our actual board
> has done a good job. I can understand that they feel a bit lonely
> sometimes, as there is no "edit" button on whatever decision they
> make, and they are indeed carrying the weight of it on their
> shoulders. The only *wiki* thing I personally would allow in this case
> is "assume good faith" ...

I'm glad someone finally pointed this out - a wiki governs the
mechanics for collaborative document writing. It does not provide a
blueprint for running a legal entity with financial obligations and
time sensitive decision making.

As Delphine said, there are things from the spirit of wiki that we can
and should carry over - transparency, volunteerism
(self-identification for tasks), assume good faith. Others, like
phantom authority and rollback (anyone/everyone having veto-power)
don't have a place at the board/officer level. To sooner we realize
not all wiki concepts map over, the better.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)